photography

WPPI Recap

February 27, 2012

I spent most of last week in Las Vegas for WPPI‘s annual convention and tradeshow. Soooooo good!!! It’s always like a shot of adrenaline/caffeine to my business’ bloodstream— a wonderful time to learn more about the photography industry, check out new products, network with other photographers, and catch up with dear friends. I spent a large chunk of my time with the folks at Showit, my website company, which is pretty much the best group of people I could wish to hang out with. Just a brief recap of the week…

Stayed at the MGM Grand’s Signature hotel. (so much better than last year’s place!!!)

Spent all day Sunday with Zach & Jody Gray. First in their platform class…

… and then in their “Get Engaged!!” workshop.

Loved sunrises the next morning

and hanging with these sweet ladies (Tori, Korie, and Melissa)

So grateful for David Jay and all that he has done to shape the wedding photography industry in the last few years!

Met, fell in love with, and inherited new sisters this week. (Emily & Kristin, a darling mother-daughter duo at Lifesong Photography)

The brand-new, not-yet-for-sale, much-anticipated Canon 1DX. There I was, chilling in the CPS lounge picking up my camera from a good cleaning, and I take a look over to the right and see it sitting there. I kind of went crazy, which in full & literally terms means— stopped in shock, screamed, ran over, picked it up, and kissed it. The guys behind the counter didn’t know what to do with me, and neither did I. It was a totally shocking, unexpected reaction for all of us. But there you have it! Cue Kip’s Wedding Song, because I’m a geek at heart, y’all. Note: for all those who asked, 1) I did not buy it. Yet. and 2) I was the first to kiss it. The Canon guys told me so as they were wiping tears of laughter from their cheeks. Truestory.

After touching such a beauty, I had to do something to content myself with my own camera again. Aka, self-portraits.

My last night in Vegas a small group of us VA-DC-area photographers went to dinner together. And rented a stretch F-650, just for kicks and giggles.

film for fun. (Shooting for fun isn’t a common activity, though it’s something I intend to practice more). I shot 3/4 of a roll with the lenscap on. And I call myself a photographer…

1. Lydia

February 27th, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I just had to laugh about the film, but really, so sad! Thankfully, even professionals are allowed to make mistakes once in awhile!

2. Tori

February 27th, 2012 at 6:19 pm

i love all of your self portraits…..and of course the last 3 with holga. so dramatic! 😉 haha.

SUCH a fun week with you! thanks for being such a kindred. <3

3. Laurajane

February 27th, 2012 at 6:28 pm

so i definitely laughed out loud at your little story about the new canon camera. and i love that you did that. haha
    and i also found the two pictures of zach and jody together to be pretty funny because it looks like jody has a camera tail. and like always, the colors of these photos are gorgeous! i think that next year i want to come along with you to wppi.

4. Ellen Michelle

February 27th, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Looks like you had a Beautiful time! Thank you for sharing, it’s so inspiring.

5. Hannah Nicole

February 27th, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Ha ha. Totally have NEVER done anything like the lens cap thing. Ahemmm. 😉 such a fun recap — looks like y’all had a blast! 🙂

6. Hollie

February 28th, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I love your leather hand strap and your Holga! 🙂 I have a white one that I adore!

7. Amy Hamilton

February 28th, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Haha….the Holga story is totally something I would do…I might even get through the whole role before I realized it. Love the pics! Hope I can make it to a WPPI someday!

8. Kristin

February 29th, 2012 at 2:21 am

I feel so honored to have been included in your highlights last week! 🙂 It was truly wonderful to meet you and spend time with you. I feel blessed and honored by your friendship. Emily and I both adore you and look forward to spending more time with you in the future! 🙂 PS–you know I adore your photography as well! 😉

9. kanika

February 29th, 2012 at 1:30 pm

you are absolutely the best, Sarah! I love following your blog and reading about your many adventures. Keep up the great work and look forward to what God has in store for you! 🙂 love you much, sister….

10. sarah (ampersand photography)

March 4th, 2012 at 10:13 pm

love you, friend!! xoxo

11. Shaina

March 1st, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I cannot BELIEVE you got to shoot with Zach and Jody!! I became such a huge fan of theirs after their workshop on creativeLIVE a few weeks ago. <3 Your shots are soo beautiful.

12. sarah (ampersand photography)

March 4th, 2012 at 10:12 pm

thank you!! I loved getting to spend time with Zach & Jody!

13. Katelyn James

March 1st, 2012 at 2:47 pm

LOVE THIS!!!:)

14. sarah (ampersand photography)

March 4th, 2012 at 10:13 pm

LOVE YOU!! =)

15. Julie Renee

March 3rd, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Sarah, I just love you. I love seeing WPPI from your lens! And I know I’ve said it before, but I want you to know that when I see your self-portraits, I just think you are one of the most gorgeous human beings I know. Truly. You are an absolute beauty. And I love you. xoxo

16. sarah (ampersand photography)

March 4th, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Julie, I just saw your comment. You’re so encouraging, and such a blessing. Thanks so much!! xoxo

17. jasmine star & really big confessions » Ampersand Photography | Blog

March 10th, 2012 at 5:39 pm

[…] at WPPI helped— I realized that I need to completely remove photography from the equation, and learn how […]